Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Today's flicker

It was a cold, gray day so putting out the DSLR motion trigger seemed pointless. And most of what the Gardepro T5CF #14 has been picking up at the big birdbath has been sparrows, with the occasional magpie. So I moved the Gardepro back to the small birdbath in hopes of the female flicker making an appearance. No such luck, but the male came by three times between 5:15 and 8:30 pm. The sun broke through the clouds late in the day, resulting in this weird lens flare. A magpie also stopped for a drink.

The small birdbath is so low it presents a problem when mounting the close focus Gardepro on one of my cheap tripods. They just aren't low enough, and I don't want to leave my versatile Manfrotto tripod out there in the rain for days at a time. Many years ago I bought a telescoping spike with a tripod screw at the top. It's probably not real stable when extended, but it seems to be good enough with six inches sunk underground and 10 inches sticking up. Tomorrow looks sunny so I'm not sure how long I will leave it there. After I've gotten my fill of flickers, I'll probably move it to a nearby rock just below the platform feeder that is loaded with sunflower seeds.

I've decided Browning #11, currently out in the woods, has the best image quality of all my trail cameras, even better than the two more expensive Reconyx #2 and #7. So my next trailcam will be the new Browning Dark Ops DCL Nano, which I should receive sometime next week and will be designated as camera #15. The current plan is to replace Browning #11 out in the woods, bring that camera home to replace Browning #5 pointing at my shed (deer funnel), and use the Gardepro T5CF #14 for closeups near the bird feeders and baths. Browning #5 and #6 along with Primos #4 are on the obsolete list now, although I may use them once in a while if the need arises. The other cameras on the obsolete list are Bushnell #1, which I think I gave to my wife's cousin a few years ago, and Moultrie #3, which was destroyed in a forest fire in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment