Sunday, June 30, 2024

DeNoise

The male flicker came to the birdbath at about 2 pm, but the female didn't come until 8:45 pm as the light was fading. I had the Canon 5D Mark III #8 set on 1/800th at f/10, with the ISO set automatically, so this image was shot at ISO 20000. There was lots of color noise, so I ran it through the Photoshop AI DeNoise and came up with this, which isn't bad. (Still, I wish she would come around at 6:00 instead of 8:45.) Look at the background in the comparison image to see how much noise was taken out. The colors in the processed image are a little weird, but it's not going on my main site so I'm not going to spend any more time on it.

The comparison image is completely unprocessed. No noise reduction, no brightness/contrast adjustment, no sharpening. I posted an ISO 6400 bull riding image last year taken with the Canon 6D Mark II #12, and I don't want to go much higher than that with that camera. The technology in the 5D is five years older and I haven't tested whether it has the same capabilities. (The ancient 1D only goes up to ISO 3200.) Photoshop gives me the chance to recover something when there is no other choice, but in a perfect world I would shoot everything at ISO 250. At 2 pm, the male flicker images (not shown here because I've already posted dozens of him) were shot at ISO 250.

And after that is a robin taking a bath. At 11:40 am there were some high clouds, so the ISO was 500. The final image is the male bluebird on the Gardepro T5CF #14 aimed at the big birdbath behind the shed, its temporary location as its usual spot was taken by the 5D. Since today is ISO day, the metadata in that image indicates an ISO of 100, with exposure time of 1/1251 and the usual f/2 f-stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment