Saturday, June 1, 2024

Hummingbirds

I put out my big 500mm lens on the 6D (camera #12) today, prefocusing on the hummingbird feeder. Then I used the Canon app on my phone as a remote trigger. The next step is to swap out the base of the feeder for the one that does not have perches so the hummingbirds have to work for their meal by hovering. Bwahaha.

Late in the day, I used the 100-400mm lens set at 312mm. I had a different tripod and didn't bother raising it, so the third and fourth images are shot from a lower angle against distant clouds. These are all heavily cropped because I'm trying to get the left and right perches in the frame, but what I'll probably do in a few days when conditions are supposed to be favorable again is zoom in on the left location (without the perch). I got my best shots last year in August, so there's time. I also might have to break down and operate the camera manually rather than sitting in my chair in the living room, which is how I got those good shots last year.

The 6D Mark II is not that much different from the 5D Mark III (camera #8) in regard to image quality, but has more features such as remote shooting and GPS. However, as a result, the 6D sucks juice out of the battery much faster than the 5D. Tradeoffs.

Unlike some places, such as my late aunt's yard in San Diego, I rarely get more than one hummingbird at a time. I think I saw (but did not photo) four at one time, but that was unusual. So it is a bit of a process to get anything, but what else do I have to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment