Monday, June 10, 2024

Something new

There hasn't been much action around the nest boxes besides the swallows, and the truth is I'm not as enamored of them as the bluebirds, so I moved the trail camera over to the hummingbird feeder. Who else would shoot hummingbirds with a trail camera? The reason this is a bad idea (besides the birds being really tiny) is the feeder sways back and forth in the wind, and there are lots of false triggers. It wasn't too windy this morning so I decided to chance it. The camera triggered about 6,000 times in three hours. The clip on the support keeps the feeder from rotating, but it can still sway.

Anyway, what I was hoping to get was the birds chasing each other. I witnessed that yesterday, but they were moving so fast there was no way I could photograph it. With the Gardepro wide angle and fast shutter speed, I thought they might swoop into view. I found a number of images with two birds in it, but not really swooping. Shown below two examples is a 400mm DSLR shot in comparison. Obviously there is no comparison, but I do these things anyway. Below that is a Northern Flicker that popped into the yard as I was trying to get hummingbird images with the DSLR.

I'll probably move the camera to the small bird bath next, hoping to get something similar to the fourth image, which I snapped yesterday.

Gardepro T5CF #14
Gardepro T5CF #14
Canon 6D Mark II #12, 100-400mm zoom lens at 400
Canon 6D Mark II #12, Northern Flicker

No comments:

Post a Comment