Monday, May 27, 2024

Grosbeak

I had a discussion with a friend about grosbeaks yesterday. Not usually a topic that comes up in casual conversation. Anyway, my observation was I hadn't seen any grosbeaks at the feeders although others in the area have been reporting them. I have two candidates from yesterday that I'm not sure about. I don't think either matches what I have in my bird book, although both have big heavy bills. I think the second one might be a grouse, but once again, it doesn't match up well with anything in the book. The third image here is a rose-breasted grosbeak from Massachusetts, 2006. The fourth and fifth images are a crow, and the sixth image of the magpie is the best DSLR shot I got today after moving the Gardepro back to nest box duty. I haven't checked those images yet but the swallows were flitting around in that area.

The G6 image from 2006 was taken through my Televue 85 telescope. I have a 2-inch telescope eyepiece that attaches directly to the G6, which I still have and is in operational condition. It was an interesting camera for its time and had some features you don't see any more, like an included wireless remote and built-in 3-stop ND filter. I experimented with the ND setting in New York City back in 2011. In addition to the telescope eyepiece, also have a wide angle attachment which fits only the G6. Every once in a while I get the G6 out and play with it, but my S95 (which is vintage 2011) has better image quality and fits in my pocket.

Gardepro T5CF #14

Gardepro T5CF #14

Canon G6 digiscope, Massachusetts 2006.

Gardepro T5CF #14

Gardepro T5CF #14

Canon 1D Mark II #9, 17-35mm lens at 32mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment