Friday, October 11, 2024

Trailcam update

It has been two months since I have checked the cameras out in Custer Gallatin National Forest. Ten new images have been posted to the gallery "Beartooth Pass, August 2024." The location is sort of on the way to the Beartooth Pass, so I included them there. There are five cameras deployed out in the woods:

  • Browning #15: I was wondering if there was something wrong with this new camera, so I made sure to put brand new batteries in it last time. It finally produced some images, but none made the cut for inclusion in the gallery. I'm including one below, just to show that the image quality is pretty good, given that all Browning (and most other) trailcam images are overprocessed and oversharpened.
  • My brother's Campark T180 #13: This one is located next to his cabin and usually picks up moose.
  • Reconyx #7: This camera picks up a lot of deer and moose, the occasional bear, and this time a bobcat.
  • Reconyx #2: There were no images from this location except my relatives mugging for the camera. The bridge over Snow Creek it is located next to has mostly collapsed and wildlife traffic seems to have dried up. I'm considering where to move this camera.
  • And finally, Browning #5: I know I said this camera was retired, but I needed it for a new test location. The spot is where a trail splits but there is no convenient tree, so I drove a stake into the ground and used a t-post mount. The ground is rocky and the stake is not driven in very far, but it hadn't fallen over after two months. I might move #2 over to where #15 is, move #15 to this location, and finally retire #5 for occasional duty in my back yard.
New Browning #15, unprocessed
Campark #13, moose pair
Reconyx #7, nocturnal bear
Browning #5, mounted on a post because there is no convenient tree

No comments:

Post a Comment