Sunday, April 14, 2024

While I was away

While I was off shooting the total eclipse in Texas, Melted Browning #6 was monitoring the bluebird box. There seems to be a pair that is settling in, and I hope this year they aren't evicted by the swallow squatters.

I'm trying to post at least one photo on my web site for every day of the year, and this image will fill the hole for April 5. I think after this one, I only have four open dates. But it may be time to retire Melted Browning #6, and also #5 which is the same model. There's way too much pixelization here.

I was looking at newer Brownings and a Bushnell, but on a whim I decided to get a Gardepro T5CF. This is one of the few cameras supposedly optimized for close focus, and Trailcampro rates the image quality very high. Looking at the sample images there is some wide angle distortion, but they seem to be sharp in the middle. It is relatively cheap ($129.95) and it has to be better than what these old Brownings are giving me. There still should be months of bluebird action to test it on when it arrives in a few days.

A similar shot from a few days earlier.

A few days later, snow.

On April 12, the wind came up and knocked the camera over. It got a few shots after that, including a sequence of a small airplane flying by and this lens flare. For some reason I thought of my camera lying there dying and thinking, "Will I dream?" (HAL in 2001.)

No comments:

Post a Comment