Sunday, April 21, 2024

Getting closer

I now have a full day of actual images from the new Gardepro camera instead of 23,000 false triggers. It took 691 images in 26 hours, and a good percentage of those included an actual bluebird. It was a very windy day and the camera tipped into the fence for a few hours before righting itself, so there may have been some triggers from wind movement. There were no triggers from 4:37 pm yesterday to 7:50 this morning. I have about a six-hour quiet window programmed in for overnight, not 13 hours. Maybe the bluebirds weren't active, maybe the camera doesn't trigger well in low light. Which is actually fine with me. The file information of various images shows a constant f-stop of 2.0, ISO ranging from 100-120, and shutter speed of 1/6,800 to 1/35,000. That's just wild. There should never be any motion blur if those numbers are accurate.

This is definitely a wide, wide lens, and it does close focus as advertised. There were a few images of the bird flying right into the camera and it was in focus from just a few inches away. The Browning images would be completely blurry. I move the camera in from 23 inches to 18 inches. I also lowered the camera a few inches, and pointed it a bit more to the right.

The images have an odd Photoshop special effects look to them, like the Artistic Watercolor filter. It's probably just oversharpening. As I mentioned yesterday, I intend to crop the distorted corners out of these images, and that's what I did with these.

So I'm happy with the close-up capability, more satisfied with the trigger sensitivity than I was yesterday, and disappointed in the oversharpening (which all trailcam manufacturers do).

No comments:

Post a Comment