Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Still in doubt

The bluebirds and swallows continue their contest for the nest box. I'm still pulling for the bluebirds. Meanwhile, red-winged blackbirds and others are taking advantage of the feeders and bath a few yards away. Last year there was one blackbird that came around, but this year there are a couple dozen at times. I'm more afraid of a swallow pecking me in the head than anything a blackbird might do, but still they look freaky sometimes when they are swarming in the yard.

These images were all taken by my newer Browning (camera #11), which is a slight improvement over my older Brownings (#5 and #6). I pulled #11 in from the National Forest and replaced it with the Primos (#4), moving closer to the location where a bobcat wanders by on occasion. #4 is so awful in sunlight and much better at night, so hopefully this is a good location for it. The bobcat usually comes through at night, and during the day the spot is shady most of the day.

The forecast says rain the next few days so I'll probably give the 1D (#9)/motion trigger a rest until Sunday or Monday. What I really want to see is evidence of nest building from the bluebirds. Last year at this time, the bluebirds were much further along with their nest building. I don't know if the delay is due to the weather, the competition from the swallows, or what. If it turns out the swallows take the box, I won't be so enthusiastic about that.

I haven't seen meadowlarks so far, but I have heard them. According to one of my Facebook groups it is time to put out the hummingbird feeders, so that's on the list for the next few days. I have suet feeders hung for the first time so we'll see if that attracts some woodpeckers. So far just the magpies have been going after those.

Update: About a week later, it is clear the swallows have won and the bluebirds have gone elsewhere. At least the swallows allegedly eat a lot of flying insects. The meadowlarks are visible but lurking just out of range, as they did most of last year. I saw a hummingbird at the feeder yesterday. No woodpeckers yet. And not even any goldfinches at the thistle seed feeder. What's up with that? Plenty of blackbirds, magpies, crows and the occasional raven, maybe the little birds are intimidated.

Bluebird with the moon over his shoulder.
Swallow squawking at bluebird.
Swallows

No comments:

Post a Comment